Crafting time with Brielle~

This crafting project started out with a great garage sale deal $20 for a big dresser with a mirror! I knew right away, that it would be the perfect dresser (with a LOT of work) for Brielle’s new room!

I didn’t know how to get started, or what I was planning on doing with anything.  I was looking at ALL of these painting projects on pinterest, and was easily getting WAY too overwhelmed with how much paint/materials/time it took to complete a project, the size of a dresser.

I never get “free time” away from Brielle, when I am at home, so I know I had to do something that could involve her, and was fairly easy!

For the supplies I used:

-Crimson Acrylic Chalk Paint

-Crimson Chalk Paint brush (pretty expensive! $10)

-Krylon Fusion black gloss spray paint

-Zebra colored fabric for the re-upholstering of the chair (1 yard was on sale at Walmart!)

First, I took everything apart! (Took the mirror off of the back, all of the pull out drawers out, took all of the hardware off).

Then decided to start on the dresser first, and paint everything (with the help of an eager toddler) that I could after I thoroughly cleaned it (it was an old dresser and very dirty).  Next off, was the mirror.  I painted the outside of the mirror, without having to take the glass off–SCORE).

The next morning  after cleaning all of the drawers (when Brielle was distracted doing something inside), I spray-painted the drawers, and all the hardware. It was not as hard I thought, but it took a while to dry outside.

After everything was dry (so we thought!), we took the furniture to the new house, and I focused on reupholstering the chair (which was not fun!), and finished painting it, and I must say, the final product doesn’t look half bad!

20151018_093407

Before

20151104_19171420151104_19171820151104_19245520151104_20025720151104_20030220151104_19170020151105_08072520151113_104706

IMG_1868

For this project, I just used a screwdriver to unscrew the chair, and re-used the nails that were in the bottom of the chair already.  Not hard, just time-consuming!

20151116_140838

At the time, it was missing a hardware piece for the top right drawer, but it now has one! 🙂 Oh and gotta love the paint stain on the new carpet! (I will try REALLY hard today to get it out)

While it definitely is FAR from perfect, I must say with a couple of layers of chalk paint, it definitely made a TREMENDOUS difference in the look of this dresser, and I am so GLAD she now she has in her new room.  And she will be able to show off to people how she painted it “with mommy”.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s